Trenzamientos / Braiding Bondings




Trenzamientos / Braiding Bondings, 2017. In these series I imagine the sculptural possibilities that dark, thick and straight hair offers as a way to explore the politics of racialized hair in the mestizo-indigenous spaces in which I grew up. I draw partitions for multilayered braidings, hairs that easily stand up and that are pulled in different directions. One of the threads in this work is how in the context I grew up, thick, straight hair was seen as as difficult, voluminous hair that took a life of its own. Such hair when cut becomes "trinchudo", a hair that sticks out and stands defiantly. In order to avoid this, people modified their hair removing volume and curling it, not as a styling alternative, but as a way to "fix" it. Drawing hair in this way, I revisit the memories of sitting as a child on a chair as my mother curled my hair. I depict within a plural aesthetics, an exploration of what hair like mine can do and cherish it for what it is. As a way of tying the lessons I have long acquired in dealing with the aesthetic politics of racialized hair..